CHOCOLATE CINNAMON DATE TRUFFLES
Date palm trees were first cultivated in the Middle East about 8,000 years ago. They require 100 days in 100ºF heat and lots of water to produce the softest, sweetest dates. The rich fruit from the “Tree of Life” provide enough fiber and complex nutrients to energize you. These no-bake Date Truffles offer you the virtues of a gluten-free, sugar-free, vegan dessert. Rich and spicy with cocoa and cinnamon, they’re perfect after a holiday dinner. Use medjool dates for a sweeter truffle. Leave me your comments below.
I came across this recipe on Shayma Saadat's luxurious website The Spice Spoon. Her guest, Kulsum of The Journey Kitchen (a site worth reading BTW) posted these Chocolate Cinnamon Truffles. I've adapted it slightly. Thank you Shayma and Kulsum.
The Finer Cookie is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for websites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. This post contains affiliate links, which means The Finer Cookie will receive a small commission if you make a purchase using this link. This modest income helps support the website.
DIRECTIONS FOR FINISHING THE DATE TRUFFLES
- Add the pitted dates (no chopping required) to the melted butter.
- Cover the dates to keep in the moisture and let them cook in the butter until they’re pulpy and sticky. This should take 10-20 minutes.
- If after 10-20 minutes, the dates aren’t softened, add a splash of water and cook another 10 minutes. Repeat until the dates are very pulpy and dissolved.
- Turn off the heat and mix in the cinnamon and cocoa powder.
- If the skins refuse to dissolve, run the mixture through a food processor until smooth.
- Set aside to cool.
FINISHING THE DATE TRUFFLES
- Once cool, the mixture should be remain pliable.
- Pick out any pits you might have missed initially and roll the mixture into 1 inch balls.
- Spread out the dusting ingredients on a flat surface, then roll the truffles to coat.
- Serve immediately or store in an air tight container.