Traditional shortbread with four varieties of peppercorn sits deep within the niche of The Finer Cookie. Twisting flavours and textures that modernize the cookie experience excites me. The confectioners’ sugar makes the shortbread crumble and dissolve in your mouth. Sweetness arrives first, then the pepper approaches, building intensity, poking you for another bite. Don’t be afraid. They are gorgeous with a glass of cold milk and you’ll wonder why you haven’t tried them before.
Today, I am joined by a group of talented bloggers from the Sunday Supper Movement in participation with Spice is Nice and Some Like it Hot event. Below you'll find a collection of delicious spicy and hot recipes. I’m very proud to contribute this Peppercorn Shortbread recipe to this event.
BTW, I've adapted this recipe slightly from one that I found on Martha Stewart's site. Get the original recipe here.
The Finer Cookie is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for websites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. This post contains affiliate links, which means The Finer Cookie will receive a small commission if you make a purchase using this link. This modest income helps support the website.
- 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) (12 oz/340g) unsalted butter, very soft, plus more for pan
- 3/4 cup (3oz/90g) confectioners’ sugar
- 2 ½ cups (11oz/312.5g) bleached all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- 3/4 teaspoon white peppercorns, coarsely ground
- 3/4 teaspoon black peppercorns coarsely ground
- 3/4 teaspoon pink peppercorns coarsely ground
- 3/4 teaspoon green peppercorns coarsely ground
- 1-2 tablespoons white granulated sugar
MIS-EN PLACE SHORTBREAD DOUGH
- Preheat oven to 300ºF degrees, with rack in center.
- Lightly butter a 10-inch springform pan, and set aside.
- Cut a piece of parchment
to fit the bottom of the springform pan and butter it too. Set aside.
- Stir together flour, salt, and 1/2 teaspoon of each ground peppercorn; set aside.
- Put butter and confectioners' sugar into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment,
- Crush the 4 peppers and set aside 1 tsp into a smaller bowl.
- Mix the 2 tbsp of sugar into the 1 tsp of peppers.
- Combine the flour, salt and remaining 2 tsp ground pepper in a separate bowl and set aside.
ASSEMBLING THE SHORTBREAD DOUGH
- Using a hand mixer or a stand mixer, on medium speed, beat the butter and powdered sugar until fluffy and very light in colour, about 2 minutes, scraping down sides of bowl as needed.
- Reduce speed to low and gradually add the flour mixture until all the dry particles have disappeared.
- Using a small offset spatula, spread dough evenly into prepared pan, smoothing the top.
BAKE THE SHORTBREADS
- Bake at 300ºF until shortbread is golden brown, about 1 hour and 10 or 20 minutes.
- Transfer pan to a wire rack.
COOLING THE SHORTBREADS
- Immediately sprinkle with granulated sugar and reserved 1/4 teaspoon of each ground peppercorn.
- Remove springform; let shortbread cool completely.
- Cut into wedges.